Wednesday, January 23, 2013

January Inspiration

There's nothing like having a computer in front of me as I gaze out my frosted January window at a winter wonderland.  Almost as if Disney scenes were playing out before me, I watch a family of deer meander through my backyard, frolicking in the snow.  Squirrels chase each other through the labyrinth of trees.  Kids create snowmen as robins and cardinals fly back and forth, admiring their work.  It's all so beautiful.

Of course, I live in Oklahoma and it's going to be 60 degrees today, so forget about all that nonsense.

I'm wondering what has happened to winter?  It might be snowing in other parts of the country, but we have had extreme drought and heat for a couple of years now.  Snow is hard to come by, and that is a shame, because there is nothing so inspiring as freshly fallen snow.  I feel the same way about a foggy day.  Stephen King claims that inspirational writing comes from a dark corner of a room with the shades pulled, but I personally love to gaze out the window.

Some of my best work has come on cold winter days.  Add some falling snow and a hot cup of coffee and let the daydreaming begin. 

For example, in my new novel The Mentor coming out soon, I wrote a WWII flashback scene on a cold, snowy day.  My imagination was stirred, and I could envision the Nazi's bearing down on this poor man who was running for his life.

Fair weather gives me the urge to get outside and play.  I get cabin fever way too easily.  Spreaking of which, it's 51 degrees outside right now, so...

No comments:

Post a Comment